Allergic Dermatitis in Our Dogs

My Poke has Allergies

our dog poke has allergiesIf you have spent time on my blog, you know my dog Poke, she is 13 years old and developing skin conditions such as allergic dermatitis.

Allergic Dermatitis is when your dog is allergic to something he or she comes into contact within their environment. Some of these allergens are grass, weeds, hay, trees, mold and fleas. My little Poke lives on a farm and is around a lot more than suburb dogs.

If a dog has a history of allergies then they are much more likely to contract allergic dermatitis than those who do not have allergies otherwise. Also, a dog’s response to different irritants can change in severity over time depending on how allergic they are to the irritant. Often the allergic reaction of the skin will be delayed up to 24-48 hours as well. An allergic reaction also may not occur with the first use as some items can cause the problem after prolonged exposure.

She has been so pitiful, crying and scratching and making this awful gnawing noise that is much like human torture to my family. I have tried several canine shampoos and they seemed to help very little with her itching. I really wanted to bring relieve to her I thought we would try Head and Shoulders.

Topical Decontamination with T+PLUS

allergery meds for dogsUpon arriving at our Family Dollar I found Therapeutic T+PLUS for $3.00 and this was cheaper than the medicated dog shampoo they offered. I choose the T+PLUS for price and the product claim which is fights itchy, flaky scalp, and controls the symptoms of Psoriasis, Seborrheic Dermatitis, and Dandruff.

I have been using this shampoo on Poke now for a month and she is responding amazingly. Her hair is starting to grow back and she is not hysterically scratching all the time. I love my little Pocahontas and I am so happy that I have brought her some relieve within my budget.

I read in "Natural Health Bible for Dogs and Cats" by Shawn Messonnier, D.V.M. that most allergic pets should be bathed every 24 to 48 hours until itching decreases, then 1 to 3 times weekly as needed to control itching.

Perhaps you are encouraged that you too can help your pets find relieve to their allergies without breaking the bank. If you have a similar story and would like to share it here on Sensible dogs then please email me the article and I will work to publish it here on our site. You can also visit our Facebook Friend page to share your experiences and photos of your pets; I can't wait to see you there.

Disclaimer: This is not my recommendation to anyone; I am merely sharing my experience with my little old dog, Pocahontas.

© Sensibledogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment